Friday, June 17, 2011

Mexican Feast




Dinner @ Eight Menu

Mexican Feast

Appetizer

Chips and Guacamole & Pico Di Gallo

Drinks

Santa Cruz Mango Lemonade

Main Course:

Tortilla Soup

Mexican Coleslaw

Corn on the Cob

Dessert:

Mexican Hot Chocolate Mocha's (Decaf) with Whip Cream

I could hardly wait to get to prepare this date for Damion and I! We had so much fun last time, so we were both really looking forward to some concentrated time together! Plus, the menu is A-mazing if I do say so myself :) The Tortilla soup is a family recipe that we all love so much...I dare say that it is the best Tortilla soup that you will ever have. You have no right to argue with me unless you are actually Mexican...and even then...I really believe this is THE way Tortilla Soup should taste! Now, for you ladies who have husbands who love meat, I realize this menu may leave a little left to desire! Add in some grilled flank steak or chicken and you are good to go!

The How to:

1. I planned on Sunday, grocery shopped on Monday as well as cleaned up the house a bit.

2. Date Day: Early morning wake up for a quiet time, with emphasis on preparing my heart for tonight's date and a shower!

3. 8am began with cleaning the kitchen (My plan was to wake up to a clean kitchen…but it didn’t happen that way) I love to cook in a clean kitchen, just helps the creativity flow! I cleaned while my kids ate their breakfast…and then I cleaned it again after they ate…anyone know what I am talking about?

4. At lunch time I started cooking while my kids were eating:



Noah loves watching his sister, look how he is laughing at her! Love this!

While they were having fun...I got down to business setting out tortilla strips to dry.

and starting the soup base....

The beginning of awesome-ness :)

Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
6-8 Corn Tortillas
2 Very Large Ripe Tomatoes
3/4 cup coarsely chopped white onion
1 large clove of garlic
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
7 cups of chicken broth
4 sprigs of fresh coriander (i use dried)
3 sprigs of fresh mint ( i omitted this)
1/2-1 tsp salt
4-5 dried pasilla chiles( I also omitted these)
5 ounces Monterey Jack cheese cut into small cubes
fresh cilantro

Directions:
1. Cut tortillas into strips and set out on a rack to dry for 1-2hours.
2. Blend Tomatoes, Onion and Garlic in blender until very smooth. In a stockpot put 2-3 tbsp EVOO and heat on medium high. Add soup base and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add stock and coriander springs. Heat to boiling and then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes. Add mint and salt and simmer 10 minutes longer. Remove coriander and mint sprigs.
4. Put 2-3 tbsp EVOO in a pan to fry the tortilla strips. Remove from pan when they turn a nice color of brown and place on paper towels.
5. Fry chilis the same way and place on paper towels until cool. Then break into small pieces.
6. To Serve: Serve soup very hot. Set out cheese cubes, tortilla strips, cilantro, and chilis to add to individual bowls. Enjoy!

Mexican Coleslaw
Ingredients:
shredded cabbage
3-4 radishes
sliced green onion
Dressing (I made this up)
2 tbsp EVOO
2 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp Cumin

Mexican Mocha's
Abuelita's Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix prepared as directed
1/2 shot decaf espresso or extra strong brewed drip in each cup
whip cream and cinnamon sprinkles on top



Super Yummy Juice!


Oh...guacamole...how I love the :) Oooh..and the white stuff is Mexican sour cream...not the lightest stuff in the world...but definitely a step up from the usual stuff!


This was a nice light salad..after enjoying chips and guac!
A little time to enjoy the atmosphere...

Soup toppings.. tortilla strips, cheese cubes and cilantro...can you feel the anticipation?


And there she is in all her glory: Authentic Tortilla Soup!! At this point we were thoroughly enjoying the meal and our conversation. Ava came down to "go potty" once and then left us in peace for the rest of the night. Her little face was so sweet...she just had to see what was going on in the kitchen. Ooh...which reminds me. I wanted to tell you all what I wore...this adorable little black dress with white embroidery. It was beautiful, and a perfect pick for the night, it did make me dream of a Mexican Vacation though :) I used my triple barrel curling iron and put a flower in my hair. I am confident that Damion was impressed! :)



To finish off the evening we enjoyed our Mexican Mocha's...although we were so full we only made it through about half! We are both loving our "dinners @ eight". It has been so special to lavish on Damion this way. After just two weeks I see the results of this concentrated time. We are communicating more, resolving conflicts more easily, and are just enjoying each other more. Can't wait to see where this road will lead!

I am excited to hear from all of you. Some of you have already told me about your dates...I would love if you would post along with me so others could hear what you did!

All my love!

Candace

No comments:

Post a Comment